Prescriptions Charges and Exemptions
Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
- The current prescription charge is £9.35 per item (£17.60 per pair of elastic hosiery)
- A three monthly PPC is £30.25 and could save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months
- A 12-month certificate is £104 and could save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year
- PPC telephone advice line 0300 330 1341
- There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website