Sickness Certificates

As part of NHS general medical services, doctors provide medical statements to their patients free of charge.

In The First Seven Days of Any Illness

During this time you can self-certify that you are ill, using a form from your employer or form SC2 from the Inland Revenue.

If you employer requires a certificate from the doctor during this period, we are able to provide a private one, but there is a fee of £25. Please ask the receptionist for more details.

If You Are Still Ill After 7 Days

If you are unable to carry out your usual occupation, we can sign a white form called a MED 3. However you need to have a clinical consultation order to sign this certificate. This may be in person or by telephone. This note usually covers you for up to two weeks.

If You Are Ill for a Longer Period Of Time, or Have Been Discharged From Hospital

To cover you for social security and statutory sick pay over a longer time, we can sign a pink form called a MED 5. This form can cover you for up to one additional month. If you have been in hospital, we cannot sign the form until we have seen the discharge letter, but once we have received that, can backdate the form if appropriate. If you need an extension of this certificate, you will need a clinical consultation before we can sign it.

Claiming Incapacity Benefit

After a longer period of illness we can sign a green form called a MED 4. This can either cover you for a specific length of time or until an agreed date. Sometimes the Benefits Agency asks whether you are fit to travel for 90 minutes by public transport to an examination centre. The doctor can use the MED 4 to give this information.

If A Carer Becomes Ill

If someone who has caring responsibility, for example the mother of young children, becomes ill, we can sign a sick note for another member of the household to take time off work to care for the dependents. We must include on the note the name of the sick person and the nature of their illness.

Benefits Advice

There is a phone service for anyone of working age who wants to claim benefit. Lines are open from 8.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday and are charged at local rates. The number is 0845 604 2757. If you would prefer to use a text-phone, please call 0845 604 6524.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website